Sunday, July 8, 2012

Phoenix Quilts!

I really appreciate you taking the time to read this message.  I know you are very busy, but I feel what I have to tell you is so important! 

As you know, there are several wildfires raging across the Western United States.  At this time there are approximately 750 homes that have been completely destroyed by these wildfires, and I’m afraid that number will only increase as we get further into the fire season.

My husband and I are creating a non-profit organization named Phoenix Quilts.  With your help, we would like to place a quilt in the arms of each family that has lost their home to these terrible fires.  That means, as of right now, 750 quilts need to be made and distributed to these people!



On June 25, 2012, I put out a call for help to the followers on my quilt blog Having Fun Quilting! and have received commitments for HUNDREDS of quilts to be sent to Phoenix Quilts.  In just four days since we began receiving quilts, we have received 143 quilts! 

Obviously, there is no way I could make enough quilts – not even with the hundreds that are being sent to me by my followers – to give a quilt to each of these families who have lost everything.  That’s why I’m coming to you.  Would you be willing to help us spread the word about Phoenix Quilts by writing a post about this on your blog or website?  Would you be willing to donate fabric, batting, quilt blocks, a finished quilt top, a completed quilt, or make a monetary donation?  We would like to spread this information all across blogland so we can give some comfort to those who are beginning to rebuild their lives from the ashes that was once their home!  We think a quilt would be an appropriate way to do that!

Thank you so much!!!

Hugs!

8 comments:

  1. Julie... I'm not a quilter, but I'm going to try to make at least one hand tied quilt. I have posted your link to several pages on Facebook. I wish you much success in this endeavor. God Bless YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you're a no-reply blogger I couldn't send you an e-mail, but THANK YOU for being willing to help these people who have lost their homes! Thank you for being willing to make a quilt and for helping me spread the word about Phoenix Quilts! I really appreciate it!!! =D

      Delete
  2. A post will be on WeddingDressBlue tomorrow. The word will spread. And, my quilt will be in the mail soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for what you are doing to organize the efforts of so many. I know this will be a blessing to those sewing and the families receiving. I've posted on my facebook page and added your badge to the "like minded" page on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have several blocks that I received in a paper bag exchange that I would like to donate. Please send address.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some fabric to donate - probably about 15 yards that has been in my stash forever and could use a good home. Please let me know the address.

    Also -- is there a minimum size requirement for a donated quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same question as Kat - are baby quilts OK or are you trying to go bigger so it can be used by the entire family? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message!